Sunday, February 26, 2012

Not enough antique floorboards..............

The trip out of town was fun and we loved meeting Tim and hearing the history of the building he is refurbishing for a machine shop.  It was a church built in the 30's...although it did not look anything at all like a church.  The building had street access from the basement, so he put a huge door on it and removed the beautiful pine floor, sub floor and beams, so he could make it large enough to drive tractors into.  It has also been a bar and a laundromat.  I am so fascinated by old buildings, their architecture, and history.  Tim was so very nice and helped us move all of our lumber and also let us pick through his building to find other gems which had been abandoned in the building.  We found some awesome items. 

Today, I wanted to be certain we had the 500 square feet necessary for the room in the bank building where it will be laid.  Ooops, due to faulty math calculations, we have roughly half of what we need.  I may have to head back tomorrow to pick out more boards before he grants access to others.  We had so many boards of varying lengths and we put them in similar piles and then took an average length.....then tried to transfer all measurements to inches to make the multiplication easier.  Something got lost in the translation.  And Tim was so nice.......we wanted to be certain he knew we were being honest, so we showed him all of our numbers.  He said, "I don't need to check your numbers.....I trust you."  Oh how I love small town Iowa and the caliber of person Iowa produces. 

It was dirty work, as usual, and we were working with boards with nails in them and lifting and sorting and hauling, but we had a great time.  Then it was a rush trip back to Des Moines so I would be available to have my grandsons spend the night.  Fun weekend, but I must admit I am tired.  I love physical labor.....the kind that actually wears me out. 

Stayed up a bit too late last night trying to work on some bears.  This morning the boys were up bright and early.  They just left, so it may be time for a nap.

Have a lovely day, everybody!

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment